Wednesday, 22 August 2012

Q & A - Helena Harrington, Federation Chairman


 In this months West Yorkshire News we have a Q & A section, which we will have each month for our officers. This month we have the Federation Chairman, Helena Harrington.

Q: Where were you born?
A: County Waterford, Southern Ireland.

Q: What is your earliest memory?
A: Probably when I was around 4 or 5 years and I was in a field surrounded by sheep and cows making a daisy chain with my sister. 

Q: When did you get involved with the WI?
A: I joined when I moved to Yorkshire in 1970. I was invited to Wilsden WI by my neighbours when we first moved to Bradford. 

Q: How long have you been a member?
A: 42 years. 

Q: What does the role of Chairman involve?
A: It involves being the leader of a team. It is to ensure that the Federation is run according to the constitution and it gives you an opportunity to meet new people and encourage people to join. 

Q: What is the purpose of the Board of Trustees?
A: The Board of Trustees is legally responsible to ensure that the Federation is run according to the NFWI constitution and charity law. We also have to observe Company Law and Employment Law and make sure the members of the West Yorkshire Federation are kept informed and supported and can gain the best the WI have to offer. 

Q: Tell us about your career.
A: When I left school I did some office training and worked in the office of a timber merchant. After that I did teacher training and then took a break to get married and have children. I then returned to education and retrained as a nursery nurse, a career I stayed in for around 20 years.  

Q: Tell us about your family.
A: I have a husband and 2 boys, as well as 3 grandchildren, who are delightful. 

Q: What are your hobbies?
A: I like to read, sew, garden, listen to music and watching sport. 

Q: What is your favourite book?
A: I have favourite authors rather than favourite books such as Dick Francis and Neville Shute. 

Q: Tell us something about yourself that will surprise people.
A: I can score at a cricket match.