Friday, 30 November 2012

Q & A: Yvonne Todd - Second Vice Chairman


Q. Where were you born?
A. Morden in Surrey.  This is the terminus of the London underground Northern Line.  Morden has now been subsumed into Greater London.

Q What is your earliest memory?
A. I was about 3 years of age.  My mother left me asleep in our Anderson Shelter and quickly ran the couple of hundred yards to the butchers at the top of our road.  Of course I woke up and managed to climb out of the shelter and as she was coming home she found me, In tears, running towards her with bare feet and wearing just my nightdress!

Q How long have you been a member?
A. About 9 years

Q What does the role of Second Vice Chairman involve?
A. I support Helena and the Board of Trustees and by visiting WIs and attending Federation events I try to ensure members get full benefit from belonging to the WI.

Q Tell us about your career.
A. After school I joined “Shell International Petroleum Co” who sent me to City of London College to learn secretarial skills.  I became PA to the head of “Personnel” and did leave -relief working as secretary to one of the Managing Directors.  I have also worked for Psychiatrists in the NHS and Psychologists in Surrey’s Education Department

Q Tell us about your family.
A. My husband and I have 2 boys and 1 girl.  Our daughter lives 10 minutes away in Yorkshire and our sons live in Surrey.  We have a grandson aged 16 years and a grand-daughter (his half sister) aged 16 months.

Q What are your hobbies?
A. Quilting, patchwork, embroidery and knitting; reading and doing puzzles.

Q What is your favourite book?
A. Green Dolphin Country by Elizabeth Goudge.

Q Tell us something about yourself that will surprise people.
A. During 70s & 80s I worked for a solicitor who represented many Irishmen serving time for alleged terrorist offences.  My job involved me writing to Prison Officers, MPs, 10 Downing Street, The Pope and convicted murderers!