Thursday, 20 December 2012

Q & A: Liz Jones - Federation Secretary


Q: Where were you born?
A: I was born at home in Wibsey near Bradford.

Q: What is your earliest memory?
A: My earliest memory is from when I was about 3, being at Wibsey Nursery where I had lukewarm milk and rusks for morning break.  I also remember we had personalised coat pegs, drawers for our pictures and beds for our afternoon naps.

Q: When did you start working at the WI?
A: I started working at the WI on the 21st January 1991.

Q: Are you a member of the WI?
A: Yes, I go to Buns & Roses WI in Leeds City Centre.

Q: What does the role of Federation Secretary involve?
A: Very briefly, I support the Board of Trustees and the other sub-committees as well as dealing with the members and institutes about events and general administration for the Federation.

Q: Tell us about your career.
A: I was 14 when I had my first job as a machine cleaner in the laundrette, at 16 I had a Saturday job working in a shoe shop in Bradford. At 18, after I left college I was a receptionist at a carpet contractors, I then worked for Appleyards in Leeds as a wages clerk and then at 19 I went to work for Yellow Pages, which was taken over by Thomson Directories. After I had my children I went to work at Asda on the shop floor and in administration and then I joined the WI as the Federation/Company Secretary.

Q: Tell us about your family.
A: I have a partner, 3 children aged 29, 27 and 19 and a cat named Marmite.

Q: What are your hobbies?
A: I enjoy crafting especially patchwork, sewing, knitting and reading.

Q: What is your favourite book?
A: I have lots of books I like, but one that sticks in my mind is called Rosie by Alan Titchmarsh, which my mother gave to me, which is a lovely story based in my favourite place the Isle of Wight.

Q: Tell us something about yourself that will surprise people.
A: I hand fed four fully grown tigers at the Isle of Wight Zoo with Natalie.