Wednesday, 27 March 2013

Q & A: Gemma Rathbone - WYN Editor & Denman Ambassador

Q. Where were you born?
A. The Countess of Chester Hospital, Chester

Q. What is your earliest memory?
A. I remember putting a birdhouse in the cherry tree in the back garden, learning to ride a bike and going to my friend's house for a sleepover, but i'm not sure which cam first.

Q. When did you get involved with the WI?
A. In November 2010, I went along to Buns & Roses WI in Leeds as a friend had heard about the group.

Q. What made you join the WI?
A. i had got into crafts during time off work and wanted to improve my skills.

Q. What does the role of WYN Editor/ Denman Ambassador involve?
A. As WYN Editor, I am responsible for collating the information from sub-committees, the Office, NFWI, etc, then designing the pages, printing, packing and posting it out. As Denman Ambassador my role is to promote the College to members, arrange visits, liaise with the South and East Yorkshire Ambassadors about the Yorkshire Room and act as College Host when required.

Q. Tell us about your career.
A. I started out as a reporter on a local newspaper before making the move to online news. I now work for myself as a copywriter.

Q. Tell us about your family.
A. My mum lives on a farm in North Wales with her partner and my dad lives in Runcorn with my step-mum and step-sister. I have a half-brother who lives in Aberdeen with his wife and their four kids and a full brother who is in the RAF and based near Peterborough.

Q. What are your hobbies?
A. Running and watching motorsport are my main passions.

Q. What is your favourite book?
A. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.

Q. Tell us something about yourself that will surprise
 people.
A. I studied forensic science for a year at university and still wish I could be a pathologist.