Thursday, 27 June 2013

Q & A: Siobhan Maguire-Broad - New Board of Trustees Member

1. Where were you born?
 South Manchester and I lived there til I moved to Leeds aged 18. Aside from a brief  spell in Bristol I’ve lived here ever since.

2. What is your earliest memory?
Lying underneath the ironing board looking up at my Mum doing the ironing – it was the 70’s and Health and Safety didn’t exist then.

3. When did you get involved with the WI?
I’d been impressed by the WI and the campaigning work they’d been involved with for a few years when a friend of mine told me about the newly formed Buns and Roses, I went along to my first meeting sometime in 2009 and have been involved since.

4. What made you join the WI?
The opportunities it affords to women from all walks of life, be it making new friends, learning new skills or the opportunity to pass on skills you’ve got to others – making a local practical difference really appeals to me.

5. Tell us about your career
I’ve mostly worked in administrative roles either for local government or big organisations but a few years ago my husband set up his own company and I’ve worked with him for the last few years  –  I do all the  business admin and run our home.

6. Tell us about your family
There’s me,my husband and our two rescue cats to keep me busy on a day to day basis as none of my family live near by. I’m the eldest of 4 and two of my siblings have children and I adore being an aunty – albeit a long distance one.

7. What are your hobbies?
Knitting,photography reading and watching films – if I haven’t got knitting in my hands I’ve got a camera or I’m at a film showing.

8. What is your favourite film?
 This is a tricky one as I love so many films but I’m happiest watching either a classic Hammer Horror with Peter Cushing in or Sunset Boulevard or Casablanca or Rebecca or Ed Wood or Terminator 2 – see, far too many to choose just one.

9. Tell us something about yourself that will surprise people.
I once had lunch with Nicholas Parsons – I was his guest at a Chamber of Commerce Luncheon when I lived in Bristol.