Wednesday, 23 October 2013

Maureen Hancox - NEW Board of Trustees Member

Q: Where were you born?
A: In Grangetown, Sunderland on 22nd May 1957.

Q: What is your earliest memory?
A: Waking up with the sun shining through the curtains and seeing a doll with lovely blonde hair sat on my dressing table in my bedroom. My mum told me it was my 2nd birthday.

Q: When did you get involved with the WI?
A: I joined Cookridge Crumpets WI in September 2012.

Q: What made you join the WI?
A: I retired from teaching at the end of August 2012 and I always said that when I retired I would join the WI. I wanted to be able to pass on my skills from my years in teaching and share my passion for food and textiles. I also wanted to make new friends.

Q: What roles do you hold in the WI?
I put myself forward to be on the Cookridge Crumpets committee at their AGM in April and I was voted in to be Secretary and I am really enjoying being part of the team. I went to the WYFWI Annual Meeting as a helper and heard about the Home Economics and Handicrafts Sub-Committee which really interested me. I am now on the committee and teaching some courses in the near future.

Q: Tell us about your career.
A: I trained as a teacher of home economics at Leeds Polytechnic from 1975-1978 and was successful in getting a job as a secondary school teacher in Rawdon, Leeds. I became Curriculum Leader of Design and Technology until I retired last year. I have taught both textiles and food technology to A Level standard for 34 years which I have thoroughly enjoyed. A number of my students have gone on to university to study fashion and textiles and now work in the fashion industry which I am very proud of.

Q: Tell us about your family.
A: I met my husband Dave at work and we married on 29th July 1983. We have just celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary and retired together last year!  We have a 23-year-old daughter Sarah in her final year studying medicine at Imperial College, London and a son Jonathan who has just celebrated his 18th birthday and is starting university in Leeds which is very exciting.

Q: What are your hobbies?

A: I am passionate about food and textiles so I spend a lot of my time trying new recipes and I make my own bread. I also love dressmaking and making home furnishings. We have an allotment so to use all the fruit and vegetables I make lots of preserves and pickles. Since retiring I have joined the gym so workout regularly to keep fit. Dave and I also intend to take more holidays without children.